The IATSE Local 891 Employee Life and Health Trust (IATSE Local 891 ELHT) provides group life and health benefits for eligible IATSE Local 891 members and their dependents. The Plan is funded under the terms of collective agreements under which members work.
The Plan is based on an hour bank system. Employers contribute for each hour worked under the collective agreement. These hours are accumulated in members' hour banks to provide coverage once the eligibility requirements have been met. Members can maintain coverage by self-payment if their hour bank drops below the required number of hours to provide monthly coverage. For more details please see a video below.
The Plan was established in March 1993 and is governed by six Health Benefits Plan trustees who are elected by the membership, plus the IATSE 891 Business Representative, who is a trustee by virtue of office. The trustees’ duty is to act in the best interests of all the membership and, guided by experts in the field of health benefit administration and delivery, make decisions to maximize benefits while minimizing risk to the funds held by the Plan. The trust operates independently from the Union, although it does use union office and staff resources in its administration. The position of trustee is an important role and can be extremely rewarding, however It does involve considerable responsibility and commitment of time. The current trustees are:
- Tom Adair, Chair
- Tom Kaczmarski
- Dusty Kelly
- Phil Klapwyk, Business Representative
- Paul Klassen
- Mark Aviss
- Jeffery Seeger
For all members, the Plan includes:
- Group Life insurance (with the exception of members who reside outside of Canada; members who are retired from membership, and active members over 65 years of age who are not currently covered under the hour bank).
- Optional life insurance which members may purchase for themselves and/or their spouses.
- Short-term counselling and referral services through an Employee and Family Assistance Program (EFAP).
- Rehabilitation for alcohol or drug misuse.
For members covered under the hour bank, the Plan includes:
- Extended Health Care (EHC) and dental benefits.
- Emergency Medical Travel Assistance (included in Extended Health Care).
- Short Term Disability (STD) benefits and return to work support.
- Long Term Disability (LTD) benefits and return to work support.
- Accidental Death and Dismemberment insurance.
- Critical Illness Benefit.
- Retired (and semi-retired) members and members with disabilities.
- Eligible members over 60 years of age who are retiring from IATSE 891, and eligible disabled (on CPP Disability Benefit) members may participate in a plan covering Extended Health Care (EHC) and Dental benefits.